Pages

Sunday 3 March 2013

Mum on the Run - A Primark Purchase which won't break the bank - it might even give some of your jeans a whole new lease of life

Lovely as it was playing castles and knights with my three year old nephew at 6am today, I can't pretend that such early starts are something that I am that used to any more. So this will be brief and probably full of mistakes. Sorry!
 
Yesterday the sun was out and so I decided that winter was over, that a coat was no longer needed and that it was time to wear my new £6 Primark top. I had only bought it on Friday so it didn't get a chance to hang around for too long before I wore it.
 
Our eldest and I were off to see Les Miserables which was the perfect chance to give it its first outing. The combination of sitting down, especially in the dark, meant that if I felt that it was a total disaster at least no one else would know. Although given that it was only a plain long sleeved top with a scoopy bottom covering piece at the back, it was hardly going to set the world on fire, however you looked at it.
 

The top comes in several marl finishes, all of which are pretty neutral. From memory, there's grey, cream, mint (which I am wearing) and a taupe colour. I am wearing a swing style cardigan from Cos over the top here, together with grey Cos jeans, Zara boots and my blue Orla Kiely bag.

I layered another thin long sleeved top in a contrasting colour underneath for warmth and just to add interest at the neckline and at the sleeves too. I am wearing a size 8, which gave me enough room to do that. In the summer I might lose a layer but the top is quite sheer so it will always need something for modesty's sake.

It's probably fair to say that it lends itself to skinny jeans and trousers more than anything but it's definitely good from a bottom covering perspective, so it's great if you have any jeans which don't fit quite as well as they might over your bottom, or if the pockets aren't that flattering. In fact this top could give them a whole new lease of life and for £6, that's not too bad.



Here I am minus the cardigan at which point I realised that although the sun was out, there was a very wimpy heat to it and being a wimp myself, it wasn't a match made in heaven. However, with time running out, I battled on bravely.


And here's a closer look at the top with a Topshop necklace, which also has a hint of green in it. I'm not pretending that it's anything amazing but I haven't worn this style top before so it's always nice to try a new style, or just to have something new sitting in your wardrobe to wear - however much it cost and from wherever it may be.