Pages

Friday 20 July 2012

Ladies, I need your view on something...

We have just found out that the fastest man on the planet is staying within our mile of our house.  Usain Bolt is training at Birmingham University and we thought that if we invited him round for tea, it wouldn't take him very long to get here at all.

Anyway ladies, I need your help - so I am throwing a question open to you all - wedge trainers, love them or loathe them?

I think that this photograph of Victoria Beckham wearing these Dries Van Noten wedge trainers in 2007 sealed the deal for me.  I recall someone fairly senior in our organisation bringing the newspaper over me at my desk for my view on said trainers.  I suspect that the look on my face conveyed a thousand words.

In fairness, it may be that it was the contrived nature of the outfit that put me off as much as anything but I don't know - trainers with heels. It just doesn't seem right does it?




                                                 Victoria Beckham and Dries van Noten Wedge Sneakers Photograph
      

However, since the days of the VB wedge trainers, they have become acceptable as a wardrobe staple, with Ash being one of the go to brands and the styles Thelma and Genial being very popular.

                                                                                                              Ash - Thelma Nappa - Clay            


Objectively I can see how they could work, especially in a wardrobe like mine which includes lots of jeans, blazers and fairly casual pieces.  Also, I can't deny that they look great on some. 

Perhaps it's the VB image that I can't get out of my head, perhaps it's the fact that they feel a bit too "try hard" for me or perhaps it's the fact that I feel they would be suited to someone 10 years younger than me.  I recently wrote a post for the Style It Light  blog along the same lines but the thought of them just won't go away and now I'm not sure - what do you think?  Perhaps they are one for a "test the trend" post.

Or alternatively, I could ask Usain what he thinks when he comes round for tea.  After all, he's had plenty of experience in the trainer department.