Pages

Sunday 12 February 2012

Sunday Best - In the Duchess of Cambridge's Jesire Dress (or nearly!)

Kate       Kate 



Did you see that TV programme a few months ago about the young women who wanted to dress like the Duchess of Cambridge?  There was footage of them wandering around a department store selecting items that they thought she might wear.  It was a bit tragic really.  But probably not as tragic as me showing you a coat dress for this week's "Sunday Best" which I have had for six or so years now and which was bought from Jesire, the brand which also made the coat dress that the Duchess was wearing last week (above) and which is fairly similar in design.  (I say tragic because the Duchess of Cambridge was probably still at freshers week when I bought mine!)  According to the newspapers, Martin Vines, the former chief of the Hong Kong based label, is hoping that the "Kate Factor" could result in a re-emergence in the UK of the brand, which ceased trading in the UK last August after 13 years.  I really hope that it does as it's always nice to hear a success story.

On a separate but related note, whilst the Duchess of Cambridge may be responsible for the hoped re-emergence in the UK of one brand, my husband has taken it upon himself to be responsible, single handedly, for the demise of another, and very popular brand, that being Jack Wills. When  at Christmas time he threatened to get a JW hoodie to wear so that he could damage the brand's reputation (let's just say that he's not exactly their demographic) I thought that he was joking.  However my worst fears were realised when I let him go shopping on his own today for the second time in our married life (the first time he re-appeared with orange and yellow t-shirts which have now, oddly, disappeared) and he came home with a fur lined JW hoodie.  Apparently the plan is to put it on over his suit jacket in the morning when dropping our eldest off at school.  The poor, poor, girl - words almost fail me.  However I fear that he may be successful in his plan. (I could at this point make a very lame attempt at a joke about the Duke of Cambridge rescuing Jack Wills - something along the lines of "Wills rescues Wills" but that too would be even more tragic!)

As to the coat dress, I have worn it to virtually every wedding I have attended over the last six years and I love it because I can put a pretty dress underneath it and then when the evening arrives, off comes the coat and hey presto, there's a new outfit underneath. Fortunately most of the weddings have been with separate sets of friends but I don't really mind in any event - I have even be known to layer thermals underneath it on one particularly cold April day.  You know me, I like a versatile item!