Pages

Friday 17 February 2012

Mum on the Run - A turquoise H&M silk shirt and Mulberry handbag

 
I started off the day with a bit of the old Tracy Anderson.  During the school holidays there's less time for me to get out and run so I try to make a start on Tracy before the children get up. 

Some of the exercises are quite tough so I take a minute's breather in between and do whatever jobs are achieveable within that minute.  So, my first job was to put away the sloe gin that had been sitting in the kitchen since Christmas.  The second job was to rinse out some cake tins but the problem was that I found a really lovely lemon biscuit in one of them which I wasn't sure what to do with. So I ate it.  I am not sure that was really part of the plan but I suppose that it was better than drinking the sloe gin at 8.00am. 

Today I decided to wear my silk H and M shirt which I bought the same day as the pencil skirt that I wore to the Marie Claire blog awards.  It was fairly warm today but I still managed to layer a vest and a long sleeved top underneath, without them being able to be seen. I love the colour of this shirt - it's just so nice to wear something bright.  I put it with dark Gap straight jeans, my now faithful Jigsaw shoe boots, a chunky Jigsaw necklace and my pink Mulberry handbag.

People often ask me what my view is on colour and colour analysis in general.  I may be sticking my neck on the line here but to be honest, I don't really buy into it.

So that you get where I am coming from, I am going to start with my conclusion and work back, so here goes: The hardest colours to wear are those at either end of the spectrum - either very dark colours or very light colours. They have the capacity to drain like no other! We all need a couple of base colours (which may well be black or navy) but I suggest working in other colours which have some depth to them. Coral, turquoise and jade green all have an intensity about them which work well without being too overpowering. People are often naturally attracted to colours that suit them so bear that in mind too. The idea is to have fun, to experiment and just to give it a go. 

Going back a stage: it's true there are some colours which suit us better than others but the problem I find is that people fall into one of two categories. Either they are so nervous about wearing the "wrong" colour that they stick to black, ironically probably the hardest colour to wear.  Alternatively they stick so rigidly to colour charts that when they are unable to find the exact colour they have been told to wear, they buy nothing at all - or something black.

So hopefully you will see where I am coming from.   Some colour, any colour, is better than no colour at all.  Now who's for trying the colour of the season - Canary yellow??!!